Welcome to the website of the Royal Tunbridge Wells Civic Society. The Society is an independent organisation
which campaigns for the conservation and improvement of this attractive town with its important heritage and rich cultural life.
- see more about our objectives and background;
- get the latest news on current issues;
- find out about the Decimus Burton Museum and Study Centre Project;
- download our latest Newsletter;
- check out our latest Publication (use the Publications tab to buy on-line);
- send us your comments on any of our activities or on current issues in the town.
Thursday 8th June 7.30pm at Christ Church, High Street, Tunbridge Wells, TN1 1UT
'Michelham Priory: the site and its history' - an illustrated talk by Helen Poole.
In 1229 a group of Augustinian canons established Michelham Priory on an idyllic site in the bend of the Cuckmere river near Hailsham. It survived difficult times before ending up as Thomas Cromwell's first Sussex property at the Dissolution. Since then it has hosted a number of tenant farmers and others, with some residents reputed to remain as ghosts haunting their former home. Set in beautiful gardens and featuring a reconstructed Iron Age setting in the grounds, it is open to the public and provides a lively education and events programme.