Welcome to the website of the Royal Tunbridge Wells Civic Society. The Society is an independent organisation
which campaigns for the conservation and improvement of this attractive town with its important heritage and rich cultural life.
We have sent an open two page letter to every Tunbridge Wells Councillor detailing our qualified support for the proposed theatre and our unhappiness with their plans for the civic centre,
the underground car park and the impact on Calverley Grounds. A summary of the points in our letter is shown below:
* the Society calls for the future use of the present civic buildings to be decided now together with reasons as to why the Council cannot return there after rebuilding;
* we think the Council should make every effort possible to purchase the Police Station;
* we call for a re-think about the quantity of and access to the underground car-parking associated with the new office building and theatre;
* we want to see the design of the new office building modified as it does not respond well to the sloping site;
* we think there is an urgent need for a comprehensive plan for Calverley Grounds to be implemented in parallel with the civic development.
Royal Tunbridge Wells Civic Society
To see the letter in full please click on this link below:
Thursday 14th December in the Royal Wells Hotel at 7.15pm
'What Is Christmas?' - Geoff Hutchinson returns with an entertaining review of how Christmas has been celebrated over the centuries.
As this is the Christmas meeting refreshments of coffee/tea and mince pies will be provided. The intention will be to be able to serve refreshments from 7.15pm -7.45pm and make a prompt start for the actual meeting at 7.45pm.