Welcome to the website of the Royal Tunbridge Wells Civic Society. The Society is an independent organisation
which campaigns for the conservation and improvement of this attractive town with its important heritage and rich cultural life.
- see more about our objectives and background;
- get the latest news on current issues;
- download our latest Newsletter;
- check out our latest Publication (use the Publications tab to buy on-line);
- send us your comments on any of our activities or on current issues in the town.
Our next event
Thursday 13th February in the Royal Wells Hotel at 7.30pm
'The Development of the Kentish House' - we welcome back Paul Britton for another in his series of illustrated talks. For many centuries, Kent has been a heavily populated and fairly prosperous area, and accordingly it presents us with a fine legacy of vernacular architecture, as good if not better than that of any other English county. It is especially rich in good houses of all periods. On this occasion, therefore, Paul Britton will examine the development of smaller and medium sized houses from the medieval period down to the 20th century, looking in particular at changes in style, plan and building materials.