Who We Are
An independent non-political body with about 400 members seeking to represent all those living or working in the town;
Founded in 1959, we cover Royal Tunbridge Wells with a population of close to 60,000, the historic centre of the present Borough of Tunbridge Wells.
The official amenity society for the town, we work with the Borough Council, the Town Forum and other local bodies and campaign on current issues.
- seeking the development and improvement of our town, as well as its protection and preservation;
- promoting and researching the history of Royal Tunbridge Wells;
- supporting the involvement of the whole community in its governance.
The prefix 'Royal' was awarded to the former borough of Tunbridge Wells in 1909. Today it is used simply to distinguish the town itself from the much larger local authority area.
- this map shows the area that we cover.
- this document describes what we do and how we do it.
- our constitution.
The Society is run by a committee that is elected each year.